Winter Is Near… Accidents Happen!
Winter weather is just around the corner. Along with winter comes hazardous conditions like snow, ice, and sleet. Inclement weather make for tough driving conditions and greatly increases the risk of being in an automobile accident.
The U.S. Federal Highway Administration estimates that nearly a quarter of all car accidents each year are weather-related, and many of those happen because of harsh winter conditions.By practicing safe driving habits and planning ahead, it is possible to decrease your chances of being involved in a car accident.
Following, you’ll find a few tips on how to weather the winter conditions on the road and on your feet.
Top 5 Winter Weather Driving Tips to Stay Safe and Avoid an Accident:
- Slow down. Speed kills in poor weather conditions.
- Use a windshield cleaner fluid that contains an anti-freeze solution.
- Give your neighbor some space. Never follow too close to the car in front of you – If you are too close, you may not have time to stop.
- Avoid routes that already have obstacles – Try to take alternate routes to avoid construction, windy and twisty roads, and high traffic areas.
- Thoroughly clear snow and ice from your vehicle’s surfaces. Clear your windshield but don’t forget about bumpers, windows, brake lights, headlights and turn signals.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident this winter, you may be entitled to bring a claim for your damages against the responsible driver. It’s imperative that you know your rights and to make sure you have someone on your side, fighting for those rights. Call the GMFM legal team today and let us help you pursue a recovery you deserve.
William Mills, Durham Accident Attorney, is here to help. For a free initial consultation about your accident, call the law offices of GMFM at (919) 683-2135 and ask to speak with Attorney William Mills about your case.