Durham Attorney William S. Mills
William (Bill) S. Mills has held leadership positions and been recognized by many national legal organizations as a civil litigation attorney representing the rights of individuals and families needing a trial attorney. Bill has been President of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (formerly the NC Academy of Trial Lawyers) and President of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Eastern North Carolina Division and was elected in December, 2012 by his peers in the Fourteenth Judicial District to be a Bar Councilor with the North Carolina State Bar. In January, 2016 he became Vice Chairman of the State Bar Ethics committee.
He has also been selected, based on merit and experience, by the American Trial Lawyers Association for inclusion in the Top 100 Trial Attorneys for North Carolina; North Carolina’s Legal Elite by Business North Carolina; Best Lawyers in America; North Carolina Super Lawyers; and is Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Litigation. Bill serves on the University of North Carolina Board of Visitors.
Contact William Mills: email@example.com
Personal Injury Lawyer in Durham NC
Bill has dedicated himself as a personal injury lawyer, trial attorney and community servant. He has proven his leadership by serving his community and the legal profession in many ways. In addition to being a full time partner at Glenn, Mills, Fisher, & Mahoney P.A., Bill is currently an Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy at the University of North Carolina School of Law and Senior Law Lecturer in Trial Advocacy at Duke University School of Law.
You can download and review Bill’s full CV.
The following represents some of the positions Bill has held and professional honors received:
- Recognized in the 25th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
- President of the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers (1999-2000). (Now known as the North Carolina Advocates for Justice)
- President 2006-2007 American Board of Trial Advocates, Eastern North Carolina Chapter.
- Councilor to the NC State Bar, the State Agency that regulates the practice of law.
- Vice Chairman of the NC State Bar Ethics Committee.
- Designated as a member of the “Legal Elite” in the area of Litigation by a survey conducted of the entire North Carolina Bar by Business North Carolina, January, 2005.
- Listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” in the category of personal injury litigation each year since 2003.
- Designated as a Super Lawyer in North Carolina by Super Lawyers.
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
- Certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy in Civil Litigation.
- Adjunct Professor teaching Trial Advocacy at the University of North Carolina School of Law since 1988.
- Adjunct Professor UNC School of Law teaching Advanced Trial Advocacy, Spring, 2007 and Spring 2009.
- Senior Law Lecturer at Duke University School of Law, teaching Trial Practice each Spring semester
- Recipient of the Charles L. Becton Award presented by the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers in June, 2003 for Outstanding Teaching of Trial Advocacy.
- Member of Board of Governors, Academy of Trial Lawyers (1991-1995).
- President of the Fourteenth Judicial District Bar (1987-88).
- President of the Durham County Bar Association (1987-88).
- Board Member of the Raleigh Durham International Airport Authority as one of two appointees from the City of Durham (1991-93).
- Faculty member of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
- Founding Chairman of the Fourteenth Judicial District Grievance Committee; responsible for investigating claims against Attorneys before the State Bar (1988-1991).
- Past Board Member, City of Durham Board of Adjustment.
- Speaker at various programs of Continuing Legal Education sponsored by The North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, Association of Trial Lawyers of America and Wake Forest Law School.
- Soccer Coach for Community League.
- Chairman of the Githens Middle School Site Based Decision Making Committee (2000-2002)
- President of the North Carolina State University Swim and Dive Team’s Parent Association.
- Past Member of The Board of Directors for the Triangle Land Conservancy.
Problems Unique to Medical Negligence litigation (not currently available)
Legal Ethics and Legal issues unique to Severe Brain Injury cases (not currently available)
Direct examination of economist on Loss of Future Income (not currently available)
Making and Meeting Objections at Trial (not currently available)
Alternative Dispute Resolution (not currently available)
Initial Intake, Investigation and Evaluation of a Civil Case (not currently available)
Appellate Procedure; How, What and When (not currently available)
Malpractice Avoidance and Repair (not currently available)
Overcoming the Work Product Privilege Objection (not currently available)
Trial Techniques for proving Damages (not currently available)
Hot Issues: Personal Injury Cases (not currently available)
Summation (not currently available)