4 Decades of Million Dollar Recoveries

(919) 683-2135


Our Blog

What To Do If You’re in a Car Accident with an Out-of-State Driver

Encountering a car accident can be a distressing experience, especially when it involves an out-of-state driver. Navigating the aftermath is even more challenging as differing state laws come into play. To help you through this difficult situation, we have compiled some valuable information outlining the steps you should take when involved in a car accident with someone from another state.

Contact the Police Immediately

If you find yourself in a car accident with an out-of-state driver, you first need to contact the police immediately. Prompt action will ensure that law enforcement officers arrive at the scene to collect statements and evidence, which will be compiled into a comprehensive report. This report holds significant value not only for processing insurance claims but also for any potential legal proceedings. Moreover, in the event of conflicting narratives, the police report is an invaluable tool to resolve discrepancies.

Seek Medical Attention

Seeking medical attention immediately after a car accident, even if you feel fine, is highly advisable. The surge of adrenaline can mask any injuries you may have sustained. By seeing a doctor and getting examined, you can ensure you are aware of any potential injuries or side effects that may emerge later. Additionally, your medical records serve as vital evidence, which can be used to negotiate with your insurance company or pursue legal action against the other driver.

Call A Personal Injury Lawyer

It’s best to consult a personal injury lawyer experienced in handling car accidents in North Carolina. Understanding the intricacies of the state’s laws regarding car accidents can be daunting, which is why hiring a knowledgeable legal professional is your best course of action. A competent lawyer ensures that your rights are explained to you and takes you through the proper legal procedure, safeguarding your interests every step of the way.

File Your Lawsuit in North Carolina

When pursuing a lawsuit against an out-of-state driver, it’s important to remember that the lawsuit must be filed in North Carolina, as it’s the jurisdiction where the accident occurred. While the lawsuit can indeed be filed in North Carolina, it’s worth noting that the defense attorney may request a trial in their client’s home state.

Know Your State’s Insurance Laws

Car insurance policies vary from state to state, with different coverage requirements. For instance, in North Carolina, you must have at least $30,000 per person for bodily injury liability, $60,000 aggregate bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 for property damage coverage. However, other states may have different limits. Understanding the specific insurance laws in North Carolina is crucial to ensure you receive proper compensation for any losses you’ve experienced.

Need a Personal Injury Lawyer in North Carolina? We Can Help You

Dealing with an out-of-state driver in a car accident may feel overwhelming initially, but with these steps, we aim to simplify the process while ensuring your rights are protected. Rest assured, with the support of an experienced legal team like Mills & Mahoney, P.A, we will pursue the compensation you deserve. To get started, don’t hesitate to contact us at (919) 683-2135 today.